Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I don't know if anybody has read "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," but apparently people (i.e., critics) seem to think it's a good book.  I'm going to have to disagree.  It's the book currently on my nightstand, and it's driving me crazy.

Have you ever started reading a book and just couldn't get into it?  Have you ever had a book that you didn't like but couldn't put down?  Well, that's this book for me.  I didn't like it from the start.  It might be because it's obviously translated and the dialogue just doesn't flow.  It might be because the characters have the strangest names (and there are A LOT of characters) and at first it's hard to keep everyone straight.  It might be because it's just boring.

I think one of the biggest problems I have with this book is that I have this feeling I'm just missing things.  It's based in Sweden, and there are a lot of cultural references that I just don't get.  And I have a feeling that those references are important to the story.  I understand what's going on and can follow the storyline, but I feel like I'm only following it superficially.

Aside from that, this book is driving me crazy because I can't put it down.  It's just interesting enough to keep me reading, to make me think, "This is about to get really good," but I never get to the really good part.  I keep thinking that if I turn another page, there's going to be some plot twist and I'm going to love it.  Well, I still don't love it, it's still hasn't gotten really good, and there hasn't been some plot twist, and every night I still reach for it and read a few pages before going to sleep.  Maybe tonight will be the night something interesting happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment