Monday, July 12, 2010

Chain v. Local

Like many people, I think chains have turned our cities into carbon copies of each other.  When I'm traveling and I've forgotten to pack some essential, it's nice to know that right down the street there's going to be a Target or Walmart and that I'll be able to walk straight to the aisle I need without asking anybody where I can find this or that.  But what I don't like is that when I ask someone where's good place to eat, they point me to the nearest Chili's or Olive Garden.  I like both of these places, but what I'm looking for is something local, something I can't find in my own home town.  Many people can't tell me a good local restaurant, and that's just sad.

I like supporting local businesses if possible.  In Fort Worth, there are a lot of local eateries that I've been slowly discovering.  Since I usually go on someone else's recommendation, they're usually all really good too.  Some have long lines, but are definitely worth the wait.  The people who own and run these places have worked hard to get to where they are, and I wish there were more of them around.

But there's something about a chain too.  I'm writing this as I'm enjoying a cup of Starbucks.  Yes, Starbucks -- about as far from local as you can get.  About 6 - 8 months ago, a little local coffee shop opened about a block from where I live, and their coffee is really good.  But I still drive a couple of miles in the other direction to get Starbucks.  Why?  Because although this little shop has really good coffee, I never know when I'm going to be able to get any.  Their hours are constantly changing, they're not open at all on the weekends, and their service is horrible.

The last time I went, there was nobody in line in front of me, but the two ladies working refused to take my order!  They were not standing around, but they were not helping other customers either; they just thought it was more important to wipe down the counters and restock the cabinets than to help a customer.  They knew I was there, because each of them looked over at me a couple of times, but neither stopped what she was doing to take my order.  I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and then I left.  As I got to my car, one of the ladies came running out of the shop, apologized for not taking my order, and begged me to come back in.  She said they were almost done and were about to help me.  For a shop that has almost no business, you'd think they'd try to be a little better as far as the customer service goes.  Well, I didn't go back in, and I haven't been back since.  It wasn't the first time they tried my patience, but it was the last.

Say what you will about places like Starbucks, they always have great customer service.  Or at least that has been my experience.  When I walk in the door, I'm greeted with a smile and a hello (not necessary, but still nice).  If they're busy doing something else, they stop what they're doing and help you (unless they're helping another customer, which is completely understandable).  On the rare occasion that they accidentally get someone else's order in front of mine, they apologize and hand me a coupon for a free coffee next time, and this is without me even pointing it out.  They were local once upon a time too, and over time they've managed to become what they are now.  I know a lot of people hate them, but they must be doing something right.  Unfortunately, I don't see this little local coffee shop surviving much longer.  With their constantly changing hours and their lack of customer service, I just don't see enough people being patient enough with them to keep coming back.  And that's a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment