Friday, September 16, 2011

Back to the Gym

A friend of mine has been asking me to join her for a class at a local gym for months now.  And yesterday, I gave in.  The first class is free, and you don't have to be a member of the gym to go, so why not?

I showed up and saw that it was a small class, just like she said.  When I walked in, the instructor immediately came over and introduced herself, and asked about any injuries I may have.  I told her about my mostly healed broken foot, and about an old back injury.  She said she would give me some modifications for some of the moves they would be doing, just to be sure I wouldn't aggrevate either injury.  I'd heard this from instructors before, so I wasn't really expecting her to remember what I told her once the class started.

And then the class actually started.  This is a Core TRX class, which basically means you're working your core (abs, back).....and everything else.  Essentially, all the moves are designed to engage your core regardless of what muscles you're working on.  And everything is completely weight-free.  Sort of.  You use only your own body weight, and if you're like me, that can be a lot of weight! 

Anyways, the class starts with some cardio to warm-up, and apparently, she likes to mix it up every class.  Yesterday, it was beautiful outside, so she decided a jog around the block would be perfect.  But first she set me up on a recumbant bike so I would aggrevate my healing foot.  Ok, but the class just started so of course she remembered.

After everyone gets back, we start the actual work out.  Throughout the class, she would first show what everyone was going to do, and then give me another option in case that hurt something, usually my back.  And I wasn't the only one with an injury or that required modifications.  If something might put stress on our backs, she would show me a modification.  If something might put stress on a shoulder, she gave someone else a modification.  I soon realized that she knew everyone there by name, and exactly what their injuries or limitations were. 

By the time the class was over an hour later, I was dead tired, soreness was already starting to creep in, and I felt great.  It had been a long time since I felt like I got a good workout.  Although my arms, chest, and abs were killing me (moreso today), my back and foot felt surprisingly well.

Maybe it was the small class size.  Maybe it was the local feel to the place (as opposed to chain gyms).  Maybe it was that I was finally just doing something.  For whatever the reason, I really enjoyed this class, and it made me remember that working out can actually be fun.  I will definitely be going back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment