Saturday, August 13, 2011

84 Degrees!!

I live in North Texas, which if you don't know, has been in the midst of a horrible heat wave and drought.  We had 40 straight days of 100+ degree temperatures, and I don't even remember the last time it rained.  Everything is brown, and summer in Texas is supposed to be green, not brown. 

And then yesterday, a small threat of rain.  I was happy, until it lasted all of 5 minutes (maybe less).  It cooled off a little, but only enough to ensure that we would not break the record for consecutive days over 100 degrees.  After weeks and weeks of record breaking heat, we missed that record by one day when the temperature topped off at 99 degrees.  It seemed too cruel to be real.  True, it wasn't as hot as it had been in the previous weeks when temperatures were reaching 107, but it was still pretty darn hot.  Add to that the fact that the official temperature is actually taken in the shade, and it just felt like after all that, we just got cheated out of a record we had already earned.


So where does this 84 degrees come into play?  Well, yesterday was just cruel, but today was amazing.  I have no idea what the high for today was, but I know it didn't come close to 100 degrees.  In fact, I went to run a few errands this afternoon, and the bank marque said 84 degrees.  I know these are not the most accurate things around, but it sure felt nice out.  It was overcast pretty much all day with a slight breeze blowing. 

Yes, it was super humid outside and I know these cooler temperatures will soon be gone (the high for tomorrow is expected to reach 102 degrees), but for one day I got to take my puppy for a walk without worrying about either of us having heat stroke.  And if you listened really closely, you could hear the grass singing and the trees breathing a sigh of relief.  Let's hope tomorrow's forecast is off by 20 degrees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment