Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Feeling Old

Normally, I like it when men act like gentlemen, when they open doors and pull out chairs and call you ma'am.  But someone called me "ma'am" today and it made me feel old.  I didn't like that.

I was in the elevator at school.  Just as the door was closing, I heard someone ask me to hold the elevator.  I did, and as he walked into the elevator, he said "Thank you, ma'am."  Normally, I would think this was just someone being polite.  But coming from a twenty-something that looks about 15, it just made me feel old.

So to prevent this in the future, here are my amended rules for gentlemen:
  • Open doors
  • Pull out chairs
  • Say please and thank you
  • Do what you say
  • Don't call me ma'am
    Thank you.  

    p.s -- I reserve the right to amend these rules at any time without warning.  :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment