Thursday, February 25, 2010

Texas Drivers

Over the years, I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel through most the of US.  Through my travels, I've learned a few things -- 99% of all people are very warm and welcoming, locals can always give you better recommendations for lunch or dinner than Chili's or McDonald's (not that there's anything wrong with either of these), and just about everyone thinks Texas has the worst drivers.

I admit that I think speed limits are merely suggestions and rolling stops are my specialty, but I've never thought Texas drivers are that bad.  After the last couple of weeks, I might have to agree that Texas drivers are not necessarily the best around.

Example 1:
I pull up to an intersection and stop.  The cross-traffic does not stop at this particular intersection.  I look to the right and no car was coming.  The cross-street is a one-way street, so there was no need to look in the other direction.  I start to pull out.  Just then, I hear a car horn and turn just in time to see a car coming from my left.  I slam on my breaks, but he's coming pretty fast so he still has to swerve to miss me.  As my heart skips a few beats, I can't help but notice that the driver is flipping me off as he drives by!  I guess he hasn't yet figured out that he's driving the wrong way down a one-way street

Example 2:
I'm stopped at a green light (yes, a green light).  There are 2 stoplights that are not synchronized -- my light is green, but the next light is red, so we can't move.  There's a car in front of me whose driver has been considerate enough to not pull into the intersection, knowing that when our light turns red, if the other light hasn't turned green he will be stuck in the middle of the intersection and will block the cross-street traffic.  Everyone is happy until our light decides to turn yellow.  This is when the considerate driver ahead of me decides to pull into the intersection.  Of course, our light turns red, the light ahead is still red, and the cross-traffic is blocked.  This leads to blaring horns and angry fist waving, to which the guilty driver responds by giving the universal where-do-you-want-me-to-go-I'm-blocked-too wave/shrug.

Like I said, Texas drivers might not be the best around, but I'm still not convinced we're the worst.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment