Friday, May 7, 2010

Downtown Pedestrians

Apparently, I'm on a downtown kick, so here's another observation -- people walking around in downtown think they're entitled to cross the street whenever and wherever they want.  I have more than a few friends like this.  They'll start crossing the street without looking to see if a car is coming, or worse, see the car coming and start crossing the street anyways.  I'm really not sure how some of them made it into adulthood.

Now don't get me wrong, I completely understand that pedestrians have the right of way, that I'm supposed to stop and not hit them.  Pedestrians know this too.  However, while it's good that drivers know this, there's a small problem with pedestrians knowing it -- they think they can cross the street whenever and wherever they want! 

When I'm walking around, I always wait for the "WALK" sign, and then verify the cars see me before I step out into the street.  If there's no "WALK" sign, then I assume they don't see me and wait for the cars to pass.  My friends think I'm weird.  What they don't seem to understand is that sometimes drivers don't see you, or even if they do, there's no guarantee they can stop before hitting you. 

I especially love one of my friend's responses to this logic -- "Yeah, but they'll get a ticket if they hit you."  REALLY?!?!?  Do you not understand that that would mean YOU JUST GOT HIT BY A CAR?!?!?  I'd also like to point out that the street we cross to get from the school to the parking lot has no stop lights, so no "WALK/DON'T WALK" signs, and nothing to slow down drivers who are typically going 40 - 45 mph.   

I'm sure you're wondering where this little rant is coming from.  Well, driving through downtown yesterday I twice had people start crossing the street right in front of me.  I almost hit one of them.  Even though my light was green and the "DON'T WALK" sign was on for him, he looked in my direction (where I assume he saw me coming), and started walking across the street dragging a suitcase behind him.....slowly.....

No comments:

Post a Comment