Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cold Front

This week marks the beginning of finals.  What this means is that law students are stressed, cranky, and just plain tired.  Soon, many will resort to surviving off of coffee and Red Bull, though hopefully not together.

My official finals preparation began yesterday, and I thought I was doing pretty well.  I slept in and got some extra rest.  I worked on two different subjects so I wouldn't get burned out.  I called it quits relatively early.  I even went home and treated myself to homemade brownies.  I didn't feel stressed or cranky or overly tired.  Overall, I thought Day 1 was a big success.  But since a successful day would be boring and I probably wouldn't write about it, obviously I was wrong.

When I got home, I noticed the house was a little chilly.  I adjusted the thermostat and forgot about it.  I had a very late dinner and then some brownies.  About 30 minutes later I noticed that I was still pretty cold, but I figured it was just because of the cold milk I had had with the brownies.  I grabbed a sweatshirt and forgot about it, again.  About an hour later, I decided it was time for bed.  I was still cold, but I figured I was just tired.  I grabbed some warm jammies (including long sleeves), adjusted the thermostat again, and crawled into bed.

I woke up around 4:00 am, freezing cold and shivering.  "Great," I thought.  "I'm getting sick.  Just what I need for finals."  I got up and adjusted the thermostat one more time, put on the sweatshirt I had been wearing earlier, and grabbed an extra blanket.  I crawled back into bed and fell back asleep.  Even with the extra blanket, I woke shivering the following morning.  I got out of bed and checked the thermostat -- it was 15 degrees colder than normal!  I had been turning the temperature control the wrong direction all night!! 

I learned two very important lessons from this experience.  First, don't mess with the thermostat when you're tired.  Second, apparently only so much information can fit into my brain.  When I added the additional law school information, it crowded out some of the already existing knowledge, like how to work a thermostat.  What this means is if you need to know anything about the rules of professional conduct for lawyers, give me a call.  However, if you need help adjusting the temperature in your house, you'll need to call someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment