Saturday, August 14, 2010

Moral Dilemma

As I was walking to my car this morning, I was faced with a moral dilemma -- do I kill the baby cricket or let it be? 

I guess I should start by mentioning that I hate crickets, bugs, and generally all things with more than 4 legs.  I try to let them be, but they tend to attack me.  My brother claims that they're more scared of me than I am of them.  He lies.  First, I've never attacked a bug, but plenty have attacked me and forced me to kill them in self-defense.  Second, when I'm scared of things, I tend to avoid them.  I don't go into their homes and bother them, but they have no problem coming into mine.  Finally, when I see a bug, I scream.  I've never heard a bug scream when it's seen me. 

So this morning I'm walking to my car and a little baby cricket (or small cricket-like creature) hops out in front of me.  I don't believe in killing babies of any kind, so I don't really want to kill it.  But babies grow up eventually, and bugs tend to attack me, so if I don't kill it I'm leaving open the possibility that it will one day come back and try to kill me.  Is it worth the risk? 

Luckily it hopped away before I could make my final decision.  I don't know if crickets have memories, but I'm hoping that if this particular cricket ever decides to attack me, it will remember the day I let it live and will leave me alone and go on it's merry way.

No comments:

Post a Comment