Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dedication or Stupidity?

Around 8:30 tonight, I had a sudden craving for a Sonic slush.  By 9:00, I couldn't hold out any longer and headed out the door.

The first thing that hit me was the heat.  North Texas has had ridiculously high temperatures the last couple of weeks.  At 9:15, I passed by a bank that was flashing the time and temperature -- 98 F.  I know that you usually can't count on these signs to be accurate, but when got home I checked the Weather Channel and they were reporting 94 F.  Any way you look at it, that's hot especially for the sun already being down.

The second thing that hit me was the number of people that were out running and riding.  Unlike me, there are a lot of dedicated people around here when it comes to fitness.  It's not uncommon to see people running around here.  Most guys run alone; most girls run in pairs or with a dog.  But with the recent temperatures, people do what they can to avoid the heat, which means exercising after the sun goes down.  Most are relatively smart -- wearing light colored clothing, wearing something that reflects light, running or riding in pairs, staying on well-lit streets.  However, there was one group of cyclist that I have to mention, mainly because I almost hit them.

As I was pulling out of the driveway and into downtown, a group of about 5 cyclists rolled by.  And they were dressed all in black!  Who goes out for a bike ride in the middle of the night dressed in black??  I really hope they made it to their destination and back without getting run over.  Which brings me to my point, is this dedication or stupidity?  They had the fancy bikes, camelbaks, biking attire; you'd think there would be something in their closets that wasn't black. 

No comments:

Post a Comment