Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Manly Names

Since getting a dog a couple of months ago, I've met a lot more of my neighbors.  One thing I've noticed about my male neighbors is they really don't want you to think they're the ones who gave their dogs their unmanly names.  About a week ago, I met Bailey's dad, and yesterday I met Bogey's dad.  Both were quick to point out that they did not pick out those names.  It's actually kind of funny.  To give you a taste, here's my conversation with Bogey's dad:

Him: See, he does exist.  (I had heard Bogey, but never seen him before.)
Me: And he's really cute!  What's his name?
Him: Bogey, but I didn't pick it.

Really?  Do they think people will see them as less manly because they're dogs have names that they consider girly (or stupid)?  If the dog were named Butch or Spike, would he say it with pride in his voice?  Just curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment